Home of KeLawar Cricket ClubHOME  | Contact KeLawar Cricket ClubCONTACT | NewsletterNEWSLETTER | SitemapSITEMAP  
Selangor Cricket Association
Posted Date : 19 Jan 07

Semi Final 1 – Friday 19 January 2007
Kelawar Cricket Club v Royal Selangor Club


After carefully navigating our way through the preliminary round with two wins from three matches (should have been 3/3 but Aravinda’s team of ringers nipped us in a close one), Kelawar lined up for a Friday night semi final clash with the old foe, RSC. The 1900 start time combined with torrential rain made travel a little difficult for some team members, but most were present for the 1800 warm up – Henry led from the front with a Roti Canai, ably supported by Cranners on the Naan. Craig had ChickenChop, while Geoff only had lime juice (claiming he warmed up at home with a steak pie).

There were approximately 40 Kelawar supporters in the cheap seats on the backward square leg boundary, and another 40 non-Kelawar supporters in the VIP seats of the pavilion. The team for the match (in batting order) comprised: Craig Bartley, Henry Tattersfield (C), Dilawar Abbas, Paresh Shetty, Graham Wilson, Andrew Winstone, Geoff de Zylva, John Cranwell (w/k), Ashfaq Ahmed (9th man).

By 1930, Kelawar had won the toss and in keeping with our previous three matches, elected to bowl on a slow Kinrara pitch. The field itself was damp but in relatively good condition considering the volume of water that fell during the previous seven days.

Craig opened the bowling from the pavilion end and Graham opened from the Petronas end. With only two fielders allowed outside the inner circle for seven overs, the RSC batsmen were able to find the boundary rope on several occasions. Kelawar had the first breakthrough in the 5th over when Craig found the edge and Geoff held the catch at wide first slip. At the end of the 5th over, RSC were 67 for 1.

Craig (51 for 1) and Graham (29 for 0) each bowled their allotted three overs in succession. Graham bowled economically (anything under 10 per over is economical in this form of the game) and was unlucky not to have some wickets with edges landing in vacant fielding positions. Geoff bowled first change but couldn’t quite find the right length, and was sent to long off for a rest after one over yielded 18 runs. At the end of the 7th over, RSC were 98 for 1.

Dilawar and Andrew bowled the middle overs, and reduced the RSC run rate with accurate spin bowling. Cranners collected a text book stumping from the bowling of Dil (26 for 1) and Andrew finished with good figures of 31 for 0. After 13 overs, RSC were 155 for 2.

Henry stepped up to bowl the 14th over and after restricting RSC to just 5 runs and claiming a wicket (thanks to a superb outfield catch from Andrew), was probably left wondering why he didn’t bowl himself earlier. Geoff was recalled to the bowling crease for the final over of the innings and managed to keep RSC to 10 runs for 1 wicket (Dil held the catch with a dive in the covers). Geoff finished with 28 for 1, and at the end of the first innings, RSC had scored 172 for 4.

The Kelawar run chase began well with 19 runs from the first 11 balls, unfortunately Henry was run out on the final ball of the second over. No TV replay was required. Henry will be attending sprint training so he can complete a run in 1.4 seconds. After 2 overs, Kelawar were 19 for 1.

Craig batted well for 20 (from 10 balls), but was bowled trying to lift the run rate. After 4 overs, Kelawar were 38 for 2. Dil and Paresh were building a productive partnership but it ended prematurely when Paresh was dismissed in the 5th over. 51 for 3.

Enter Graham – his first three balls went to the boundary. At 69 for 3 from 7 overs, Kelawar were still in touch…until a disastrous 8th over resulted in the loss of two wickets. Graham advanced down the wicket to sweep another one over the fence, but misjudged the ball and it thumped into his glove. Even though Graham was wearing the glove on his hand, he was somehow adjudged to be out leg before wicket. Soon after, there was a Keystone Kops moment that saw both batsmen (Andrew and Dil) slip in the damp conditions while running between wickets. Unfortunately for Dil, the sudden loss of traction left him a few feet short, and he was dismissed for 20 (16 balls). After 8 overs, Kelawar were 71 for 5.

With Andrew and Geoff at the wicket, there was a glimmer of hope that the 15 runs per over required for the next 7 overs might be possible (by an act of God maybe? – Ed) - particularly when Andrew’s first two balls scored 12 runs. Indeed, the 9th over yielded 15 runs for a score of 86 for 5. Sadly, the 10th over was not as successful. Only 5 runs were scored, and Geoff managed to put his back leg between the ball and the base of middle stump for what must have been a fairly straightforward LBW decision compared with the previous one. After 10 overs, Kelawar were 91 for 6.

Cranners joined Andrew for the rearguard attempt to save the good ship Kelawar. However, 84 runs were required from the final 5 overs (with 1 wicket in hand); so it’s safe to say that the ice berg had been and gone, and we were taking water. Andrew did his best to keep things afloat but was eventually stumped for 18 (8 balls) and Cranners batted on to see Kelawar over the 100. The crowd was looking forward to watching Cranners score 75 runs in 20 balls, but he was run out in the 12th over for 15 (13 balls).

Result - Kelawar all out for 105 runs. RSC won by 67 runs.

Thus ended our campaign for the inaugural SCA 8’s trophy. Overall, we played quite well to reach the semi final, with many fine individual performances through the week. It was an enjoyable tournament, and we look forward to going a step further next year and adding more silverware to the cabinet.

venimus lusimus bibimus

19012007 SCA 8s semi final vs RSC.pdf